Thursday, December 5, 2019

Introduction: The Elderly Chronicles

For the past 12 or so years, I've been having a weekly brunch/lunch date with my grandmother. She is 91 years old now, so it's been a pretty significant transitional life phase to be privy to, all the more so because I'm a writer and a counseling major and I can't help but observe the changes to her as she's going through this incredibly special phase of life. 

Most people do not go through the latest phase of life as gracefully as my Grandma, and I've been blessed to get the opportunity to get to know her really well on our regular dates, and to learn from her and gain a deep appreciation for her experience and unique insight into life. I've also gotten to see a very gradual progression into the physical, emotional, and mental toll that age takes on a person, rather than a rapid one. It is still hard, but the slower progression makes it easier to see the humor in the senile moments, and look for optimistic perspectives on the inevitable physical deterioration, and reflect on the unexpected emotional toll that aging is having on the woman who has become one of my best friends over the last decade.

So these will be The Elderly Chronicles, a respectful, honest, raw, and (ideally) hopeful record of my family caring for our beloved grandmother in her advanced golden years.

No comments:

Post a Comment